Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Chicken Sausage Soup

(I can't seem to find my photos of this soup so you will have to use your imagination until I do :) )

Unfortunately, I can not take credit for this delicious recipe. One of my closest friends, who also happens to be a flight attendant, made this soup for me when I was visiting her during a layover in Alaska. The night before, my heart had been broken by a member of the male species and that whole day I could not stomach even the idea of food let alone the physical act of eating it. When she placed a piping hot bowl of this soup in front of me I inhaled it's soothing smell, took a bite and the pain in my heart began to ease. Ever since then, I make this soup whenever I need to feel comforted, always thinking of her as it simmers on the stove.

Ingredients:
serves 6-8

1 package uncooked chicken sausage
1 medium onion chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
3 carrots peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch rounds
1 1/2 cup green beans cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 medium zucchinis chopped
1 can white beans
1 can diced tomatoes
4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
2-3 Tbsp 21 no-salt seasoning (to taste)
1 tsp salt 
1 tsp pepper
Srirracha Sauce (to taste) 

Fill a large soup pot with 1/2 inch of water and heat over medium heat. Add Sausage and cook for 5-7 minutes. 

Remove sausage, let cool slightly, cut lengthwise and then into bite size pieces. Note: Sausage may be slightly undercooked. Place back in water. 

Add onion, celery, garlic, 21 no-salt seasoning, salt and pepper. 

Cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). 

Add carrots and cook for another 5 minutes. 

Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until all vegetables are soft (about 30 minutes).

Note: Sriracha sauce is very hot so start with a small amount (1 or 2 tsp), let simmer and add more if desired.

If using a crock-pot, transfer contents of pot before adding the remaining ingredients. Simmer on low for 3-4 hours or until vegetables are soft.

The key to this soup is seasoning. I put in what looks like way too much garlic and 21 no-salt seasoning but it adds so much flavor! Use your own discretion to make it how you prefer.

For a little something extra, add cooked quinoa to your bowl  and top with parmesan cheese right before eating. You could also add kale while the soup is simmering for a little extra nutritional value.

Stock your freezer with this soup to take on your trips. It will give you the strength to get through a long work day and the comfort needed when you'd rather be home.

As always,

Here's to Life, Love, Health and Happiness. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment