Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The "Muffin" Side of Life

After yet another 40 minute drive to see my favorite doctor and check up on MORE lab results I am faced with a serious decision on which mental path to venture down. I can either choose the positive path where I look at all the good that has come over the last year and celebrate with a vegan, gluten-free lemon poppy seed muffin at my favorite coffee shop or I can take the negative path where I choose to dwell on the things I can't seem to change. It's probably not that shocking to you that I chose the path with the yummy muffin.

After several years of hormone imbalance and pre-diabetes, my hormone and sugar levels have become consistently normal and continue to get better with each test. I have conquered not one but two of the biggest feats of my life and I couldn't be happier. My vision for the future has grown more rose colored than ever and my present outlook is one of true gratitude, faith in myself and inner strength.

Like I said, I chose the happy, muffin celebrating path meaning, with all my good news comes some bad. After weeks (and $$) of desensitization for my food allergies nothing has changed. Things looked really good a few months ago just after my treatment but now they have gone back to their original stance and with them, my dreams of being a normal, allergy free person. 

In the beginning, I viewed this as a short term problem thinking, "I can do anything for a few months." But, as we approach a year since my diagnosis, I have transformed my life (again) and made it work for long term. I may not be able to eat as "normal" as most people but, on the muffin side of things, my figure may actually have a fighting chance at staying intact!

So why am I sharing all of these intimate details about my health with you? Because it's just another lesson in this crazy thing called life and perhaps my choosing the positive path will inspire you to do the same when the time comes. You never know how strong you are until you face your demons and refuse to let them define you or leave a negative presence in your life.

Everyday we must choose the mental path we wish to take and unfortunately Air Traffic Control doesn't get to decide for us. Which mental path will you take when you are thrown curve balls? Will you focus on the good stuff, celebrate and eat a muffin, or will you dwell on what you don't have, what you can't do and be muffin-less? Personally, I love my muffins!

As Always,

Here's to Life, Love, Health and HAPPINESS! Cheers!

Note: After writing this post, I went in search of my original allergy test results and discovered that they have in fact gotten better after desensitization. I went through 3 separate testings and my doctor was comparing the last to the second, not to the original. Everything except for milk were still at least half if not more and in a "low reaction" state. All this worry and stress for nothing. The lesson to take from this? Always save your test results so you can read them for yourself. Your doctor and you may not always speak the same language or be on the same page and it may cause un-needed stress. 


Here's to a stress free, low allergy life! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment