Saturday, June 9, 2012

Motivation, Lost in Transit

Help! I've lost my motivation and no one seems to know where it's gone! 

I wish there was a form to fill out for lost motivation, like there is for lost luggage. Then maybe I could be reimbursed by the airline for my inconvenience. Unfortunately, that is not how life works. Instead, I have to take responsibility for my own actions, retrace my steps and figure out where I last had my ambition.

When I first began writing, it was because I had a story to tell and knowledge to share. There was this voice inside of me clawing to get out. I didn't care about who read it or getting paid or promoting, I just wanted to manifest my thoughts and feelings in a place they could be heard and saved forever. 

Shortly after I was bombarded with opinions and questions. "How many followers do you have?", "Do you get paid?", "You need more 'Like''s on Facebook", "You aren't on Twitter? You have to be on Twitter!". I fell victim to all of this madness and began to panic because there was so much to do, and so little I knew about. I began my Twitter account, Pinterest account, and posted more on my Facebook. After spending so much energy with all these different sites and promotion attempts, I found I was too drained to actually do any writing. 

Where had my motivation gone?

I blamed not writing on so many outside factors such as working too much, planning parties, visiting family, spending time with friends, doctor appointments, bad weather and general laziness. The truth of the matter is, I let myself get sucked in to what those around me were saying and wanting me to do and in turn, I stopped listening to what I was saying and what I wanted to do. 

When you stop listening to that little voice inside of you, your happiness and motivation slowly begins to silence itself along with that voice. As a society we are so influenced by what we are told we should be doing, wearing, desiring, eating, and feeling that we stop recognizing what it is we really want out of life. 

Shut off your computer, turn off your phone, unplug your TV and let that little voice you've been surpresing have a chance to speak freely and I guarantee you will begin to locate your motivation, and maybe even find that it is more full than when you lost it.

As always,

Here's to Life, Love, Health and Happiness! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment