Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sugar Addiction

Sugar addiction sounds like a nice excuse for consuming too much of the sweet stuff. Many say it's all in you head and you know what, they may be correct. 60 minutes aired a show in April of 2012 where Dr. Sanjay Gupta speaks with Dr Robert Lustig and other researchers about sugar addiction and the effects sugar has on the brain and body.

60 Minutes: Is sugar toxic?

Sugar acts like a drug to the brain by implementing the release of dopamine, similar to drug use. Research shows when sugar is consumed regularly, your brain can become immune to it's effects, meaning you need a greater amount to obtain that satisfied, happy feeling. You then eat more to reach that feeling of contentment which in turn leads to over consumption. 

What is wrong with over consuming sugar? Well sugar has been linked to many prominent diseases including, but not limited to Heart Disease, Cancer, Type 2 Diabetes and Obesity. Other health issues sugar has been linked to are weakened immune systems, chronic fatigue, hormonal problems, gastrointestinal issues, ADD/ADHD, anxiety and depression. These are just a few of the health issues being linked to people who consume too much sugar.

Just like everything, sugar is not a bad thing when eaten respectfully, in it's natural form. Fresh fruits and vegetables have wonderful nutrients and fiber to balance out the negative effects of sugar on your body. Honey, when consumed in moderation,  is also a natural sugar full of health benefits that outweigh the adverse effects of the sugar.

A huge problem in the US is the hidden sugars in out food. There is sugar in almost everything. They try to trick you by using many different words but in the end, it's all sugar. One of the largest amounts of hidden sugars is found in anything "low fat". When fat is removed, sugar is added to make the food taste good so people will buy it. Don't let good taste be mistaken for good health.

When I had to break my sugar addiction, I remember my nutritionist telling me it was going to be like an alcoholic trying to quit alcohol and she was right. I had an awful headache along with the shakes and sweats, causing me to be mean and irritable. I needed sugar so bad that I'd cry because I knew I couldn't have it. But after the first few days it got better and within a few weeks I was functioning properly again. I still fall off the wagon from time to time and trying to get back on is always difficult, but knowing how wonderful I feel afterward is all the motivation I need.

For more information on the effects of sugar and beating your sugar addiction, check out these helpful links:

Is your sweet tooth an addiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment