Friday, March 2, 2012

All-Nighter Survival Guide

If we lived in a perfect world we would all work, sleep and eat during appropriate hours. Unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world and sometimes we are forced out of sync with our body's natural timing. When this happens we have a tendency to turn to unhealthy ways just to keep our eyes open and our minds alert. It is all we can do to resist a venti triple raspberry mocha with extra whipped cream and a first class pastry at 3am. 

I spent years drinking too much coffee and eating warm cookies, pastries, whatever I could get my hands on, just to make it through another short call all-nighter turn. Every time I would feel worse within minutes of my indulgence so I decided to try something new and it works wonders.
 
Before leaving for your flight, have a healthy, hearty meal to fuel your body. Stick to lean proteins, vegetables and whole grains. Chicken stir-fry with quinoa is a great example. Drink a big glass of water with your dinner. You will need to stay hydrated so start early. Try taking vitamin C and/or D an hour before your flight to help you stay awake and alert during the long night ahead.
 
As soon as you step into the airport, the Starbucks gravitational pull begins to suck you in. With all your strength, walk away! Caffeine will give you a short burst of energy, resulting in a quick crash. Drinking water is much more effective at keeping your brain awake by carrying oxygen and hydration to your cells. Shoot for at least 1.5L of water throughout the night, more if you can. If you decide to drink coffee, stick to 1 cup during the 2nd half of the night when you really need the pick-me-up. Something warm to drink can truly be comforting when your body wants to shut down and sleep. Herbal teas are a great way to receive that comfort without the caffeine.

Let's face it, when you get tired, you want to eat junk. No amount of vegetables or healthy food at your finger tips is going to change that. I always bring one treat that I love but only eat once in a while. Making sure it is a true indulgence satisfies the junk food craving without actually consuming it. Whether it be baked sweet potato fries, gluten free english muffin pizza, or my caramel brown rice square mix, it is always nice to have something to look forward to during the long night. Try saving your treat for the second half of the night when you are more vulnerable to junk food.

Once you've finally landed safely at your final destination, have a light breakfast before going to bed. If I'm lucky enough to end up home again, I prepare my breakfast the day before so I don't have to think about what to eat when I get home. You don't want to consume heavy or sugary food right before sleep. A few slices of turkey bacon with a grapefruit or sauteed zucchini is perfect. Enjoy your breakfast with a small cup of chamomile tea to help you unwind. Finally, shut the curtains, turn off your phone and rest.

Hopefully you can avoid these inhuman work hours, but if not, I hope these tips help you get through them with less regret and a bit more grace.

As always,

Here's to Life, Love, Health and Happiness! Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I found this very interesting and Im looking forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful advice for nutrition while traveling/working odd hours. Great blog1

    ReplyDelete